In order to make the coronavirus confinement more enjoyable and entertaining, the Catalan Academy of Gastronomy and Nutrition (ACGN) and ElNacional.cat are launching a pioneer initiative in the Catalan media that will bring the country's great chefs closer together through short and easy-to-make recipes at home.
These will be ideal culinary proposals for these days of confinement, and can be followed through a video tutorial that Catalan chefs have recorded in the kitchen of their own homes. All chefs who have been awarded the yearly National Gastronomy Prize by the Catalan Gastronomy Academy, which began in 2002 with the famous Celler de Can Roca in Girona and has now celebrated its 17th edition, will appear in successive editions.
Today it is renowned chef Carles Gaig's turn, who has a Michelin star and over 50 years of experience in the gastronomic world.
He was awarded the National Gastronomy Prize by the Royal Spanish Academy of Gastronomy in 1999, the National Prize by the ACGN in 2004, and the Special Prize for his professional career by the same institution in 2013. Later, in 2017, Carles Gaig opened the family’s Catalan inspired cuisine restaurant in Singapore. This year he has moved the gastronomic restaurant to Bolvir de Cerdanya, inside the emblematic Torre del Remei.
"Mallorcan style" fried eggs
Carles Gaig makes us some fried eggs with sobrassada (a raw cured sausage from the Balearic Islands). What is the touch that makes Chef Gaig’s dish so special? Water! Yes, as the chef explains, water is a key ingredient in the preparation of this dish.
The instructions are:
1. Add some water to the frying pan and set it to low fire.
2. Add four eggs, the sobrassada and a pinch of salt. Alternatively, you can go for another type of cold meat.
3. Turn up the fire and cover the pan. Let it fry for 20 seconds if you do not like them overcooked (perfect for dipping bread!) or 40 seconds if you prefer them well done.
4. Turn off the fire and let it simmer with the cover on for a few seconds.
5. Enjoy and stay safe at home!
A simple and affordable dish with only four ingredients: eggs, salt, sobrassada and water. What are you waiting for? Enjoy!