After a long month of negotiations, the Catalan Republican Left (ERC) and the Spanish Socialists (PSOE) have published a document that sets out the basis of the agreement reached by the two parties and which will allow Pedro Sánchez to be voted in as new Spanish prime minister in exchange for the creation of a dialogue table between the governments of Spain and Catalonia. Here is our translation to English of the full text, and below that, the original Spanish-language document:
AGREEMENT FOR THE CREATION OF A TABLE BETWEEN THE GOVERNMENT OF SPAIN AND THE GOVERNMENT OF THE GENERALITAT OF CATALONIA FOR THE RESOLUTION OF THE POLITICAL CONFLICT
We, the signatories of this agreement, affirm that we find ourselves with the opportunity to unblock and channel the political conflict over the future of Catalonia and establish the basis for its resolution, as there is a willingness to undertake dialogue to reach an agreement that would allow us to overcome the current situation.
The recognition of this opportunity, and the political will and firmness expressed by both parties, makes it possible to explore and address the opening of a new phase based on effective, open and sincere dialogue and to opt for institutional recognition and understanding.
Therefore, in accordance with the principles of institutional loyalty and bilaterality that govern the political framework for the relationship between the Government of Spain and the Government of the Generalitat of Catalonia, we agree on the following:
1. The recognition of the political conflict and the activation of the political path to resolve it.
We start from the recognition that there is a conflict of a political nature in relation to the political future of Catalonia.
Like any conflict of this nature, it can only be resolved through democratic channels, through dialogue, negotiation and agreement, overcoming the judicialization of the conflict.
2. Creation of a BILATERAL TABLE OF DIALOGUE, NEGOTIATION AND AGREEMENT FOR THE RESOLUTION OF THE POLITICAL CONFLICT.
For this reason, we adopt the commitment to create a Table for dialogue, negotiation and agreement between governments, which will start from the recognition and legitimacy of all parties and proposals and which will act without limits other than respect for the instruments and principles that governing the legal democratic system.
This Table as a political instrument is based on the following principles:
- Composition: the Government of Spain and the Government of the Generalitat of Catalonia. Delegations will be established to have parity and with the members that both parties decide.
- Content: open dialogue on all the proposals presented. All parties will contribute their detailed proposals on the future of Catalonia, with freedom over the content. And the positions regarding each proposal will be evaluated, debated and defended.
- Transparent calendar: the Table will begin its work within fifteen days of the formation of the Government of Spain and will establish specific deadlines for its meetings and to present its conclusions.
- Monitoring and guarantees of compliance: the Table will establish mechanisms to guarantee the start and maintenance of its activity and compliance with the agreements.
In this space, agreements that have broad support from Catalan society must be sought. In this regard, both parties undertake to promote the effectiveness of the agreements that are adopted, through the appropriate procedures. The measures in which the agreements are materialized will be subject to democratic validation through consultation of the citizens of Catalonia, in accordance with the mechanisms provided or that may be foreseen within the framework of the legal-political system.
This Table will coordinate with other existing institutional and parliamentary dialogue spaces, which must be reinforced. Among others, the Generalitat-State Bilateral Commission included in the Statute of Autonomy of Catalonia and the existing Parties Table in the Parliament of Catalonia.
PSOE - PSC Esquerra Republicana
Below, the original document: