Catalan shopping malls and stores with a floor area above 400m2 are able to open their doors again, as of Monday, March 1st, as a few Covid-19 measures were eased slightly in Catalonia. According to the new restrictions established by Procicat with effect from Monday, these establishments have been able to reopen after two months with the shutters down. However, they are only able to open from Monday to Friday and with a capacity of 30% of their normal maximum. And large commercial premises must limit the opening space to a sales area of 400m2.
As well, overnight school trips in classroom bubble groups are now permitted, and in-person second-year university classes will be allowed after March 8th.
Another small change affect swimmers: maximum capacity for swimming pools is increased from 30% to 50%.
What are the current measures?
- Perimeter closure continues to apply at county (comarca) lines. Seven days a week. All entries and departures from this area are prohibited without justifiable reasons.
- Travel to second homes or to visit relatives or friends is not permitted if it means crossing county boundaries. Cultural events are not an excuse either.
- You can only leave your county to exercise or practice individual outdoor sports between two neighbouring municipalities, for travel to school or work (if distance working is not possible) and to return to your usual home.
- Curfew is maintained from 10pm to 6am seven days a week.
- Mobility for school groups is allowed as long as there is no overnight stay.
BARS AND RESTAURANTS
- Bars and restaurants is able to open in the morning and lunchtime timeslots as at present: 7:30-10:30am, and 1:00-4:30pm.
- In these time slots, the maximum capacity will be the same: 100% of usual maximum on terraces with space between tables, and 30% inside.
- Takeaway food can be prepared and sold throughout the day.
- A maximum of four people per table, except for cohabitation bubbles.
- Eating and drinking is only permitted at tables, not at the bar.
- A maximum of six people from two bubbles groups can meet together.
- NEW! Shops and shopping centres of more than 400 m² can open from Monday to Friday, but limiting their open area to 400 m², and allowing only 30% of normal maximum capacity. Bars and restaurants in shopping malls must still remain closed.
- Non-essential shops will remain closed at weekends: small retail stores (and in shopping centres) of less than 400 m²; as well as street markets. All these are only open from 6am to 9pm, Monday to Friday. Since February 8th, bookstores have been included as essential retail stores.
- Gambling centres (bingo halls, casinos and gambling rooms) are to remain closed.
- Gyms and sports facilities can open enclosed spaces to up to 30% of normal maximum capacity, and with a maximum of 6 people per activity. Masks compulsory. Open air facilities can operate at 50% of capacity, with groups of up to 6 people, and access control.
- Local competitions that give access to state competitions can operate.
- NEW! Pools can open to 50% of capacity.
- Federated sport, and Sports Council-regulated sport, can train in groups of up to 6 people and take part in competitions.
- Cinemas, theatres, auditoriums and concert halls can open for regular programming.
- Museums, libraries and exhibition halls may also open.
- Capacity must always be limited to 50% of normal maximum, with an absolute maximum of 500 people.
- If ventilation is optimal, this can be expanded to 1,000 people.
- Theory classes in universities must be held by virtual means and it is recommended that secondary education reduce face-to-face activity.
- NEW! Second year university classes are able to hold in-person classes from March 8th (in addition to first year classes which were already allowed in-person).
- Face-to-face classes are allowed in infant and primary education centers and high schools.
- Extracurricular activities are allowed as long as they are carried out in the schools with the stable classroom bubble groups used by the schools.
- NEW! Overnight school trips in class bubble groups are now allowed.
- Regulated music and dance schools can open.
- Religious events and acts can be held at 30% of the normal maxmimum capacity.
- The absolute maximum number of people at an indoor event is 500, while those outdoors or with optimal ventilation have a maximum of 1,000.